New Coronavirus Relief Bill: Tell Congress #WeAreEssential!
A new coronavirus relief bill is currently being negotiated in Congress and may be voted on this week!
The pandemic continues to disproportionally affect people with disabilities, their families, and the workforce that supports them.
Congress MUST continue to hear from the disability community about how people with disabilities, their families, and the essential direct support professional workforce will be impacted – there is so much at stake.
Your Members of Congress must hear from you, so they pass a relief bill that includes:
- Dedicated funding for Medicaid home and community-based services (HCBS). These funds are necessary to serve people with disabilities in their homes and communities and will provide better wages and support for the direct support professional (DSP) workforce. Access to HCBS will limit the risk of people with disabilities being put in institutions.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) for direct support professionals. This is urgently needed to protect the health and safety of this critical workforce. DSPs must be designated as essential workers so that they can get access to the PPE and medical supplies they need.
- Paid leave for all caregivers. As more people with disabilities lose their usual sources of care, family caregivers are scrambling and need access to paid leave and sick days to help their loved ones. All family caregivers should be included in the emergency paid leave provisions.
- Economic impact payments for all people with disabilities. Stimulus payments should be available to everyone, including adults with disabilities who are claimed as dependents.
2020 Get Out The Vote Guide
Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. Due to COVID-19, this year's voting process will look very different than in previous years. All active registered voters in NJ will automatically receive mail-in ballots to vote in the 2020 General Election.
The Arc of New Jersey created this Get Out the Vote Guide to help you navigate the new way of voting. It also provides resources, insights from individuals who vote, and important deadlines you'll want to keep in mind as Election Day approaches. Remember, your vote is your voice!
2020 US Census
The Census can shape many aspects of our community, including health clinics, fire departments, roads, and schools. It's important that you are counted. The 2020 Census deadline is September 30th. If you haven't already done so, please fill out the 2020 Census.
- The Census Bureau is bound by federal law to protect and keep your information confidential.
- Your data is safe, and used only for statistical purposes.
- Information provided by non-documented residents also is safe and the Census Bureau does not share your citizenship status with any other federal or state agency.
- The Census Bureau will never ask for your Social Security number, bank or credit card account numbers, money or donations, or anything on behalf of a political party.
If you don’t still have a Census form or prefer to fill it out online or by phone, please visit the US Census 2020 website at my2020census.gov or call (844) 330-2020.
Tell Your Story
Do you have a cell phone with a camera? Take a short video of yourself answering one of the questions below:
- Without my direct support professional…
- The services that I get from Medicaid make it possible for me to…
- If my mom/dad/sister/brother can’t take time off work during this pandemic to support me…
- This is my home, and if I don’t have healthy staff to support me…
- I rely on my Social Security benefits to…
- The Arc of Monmouth supports me to…
For more Advocacy Resources, check out the Go Bag from The Arc of NJ Family Institute.
Personal stories are often the best way to demonstrate impact. If The Arc of Monmouth's supports and services have helped you and your family meet challenges, reach your goals, and achieve more - we want to hear your story! Please feel free to email email@example.com if you want to share.
New Jersey Senators
Senator Cory Booker: (973) 639-8700
Senator Robert Menendez: (973) 645-3030